Friday, March 14, 2008

OFF THE COUCH


I was never a sports person, not even the kind that spends time watching and cheering for a favorite team.
An uncle of mine, a yoga exponent introduced me to sun salutations. I never imagined myself to be flexible enough to do yoga, yet I started practicing sun-salutations; more to stay trim than as a fitness regimen. Over time, I was exposed to more yoga. To my surprise, I found that I was pretty flexible (at least more than I had imagined) and was able to do the asanas pretty well. That sure motivated me. Somewhere during my late teens, staying fit gained as much priority as staying trim. Also, I began to feel the need for some aerobic activity - as a consequence I started jogging/running. The sprawling campus of the colony where I lived provided the perfect environment; serene, quiet, pollution-free and traffic-less.
And so I have been running for many years now; for this post, let us focus on running for fitness and stay away from all other connotations (for those of you who know me - running away from being a responsible organized adult and whatever else your mind can conjure). My running regimen has always been ad-hoc, unstructured and prone to long lapses; of course one can’t run during the persistent monsoon and I used to find it extremely difficult (maybe impossible) to wean myself from my warm rajai in the cold winters and summers are too hot to be out running anyways. Despite my irregular running schedule, I have observed that I enjoy running. I like it for the meditative rhythm that it puts me into while I am at it…for the ‘runner’s high’….and also for the sweet hurt. Considering my cushy, laid-back lifestyle and proclivity to gain weight, I decided, it was time to embark on a regular fitness regimen and make running a part of it.
I stumbled upon the ‘couch to 5K’ running program while surfing the internet. I found that the program has been around a while and has many followers. It seemed simple and doable; I decided to give it a try. ‘M’ jumped at the idea and decided to be my running buddy. I also discovered Robert Ullrey’s podcasts for each of the couch to 5K workouts. The podcasts are wonderful; they save you from keeping track of time or distance and make the workout a lot of fun. 3 cheers to Robert!! :)
We run MWF and I am in the middle of Week2. I hope to complete the program by mid-May and continue regularly with my 5K runs. Who knows, someday I might even run a marathon!
If you are looking for a program to get off the couch, this is worth a try. Go for it!
I’d also like to hear your experiences about running, couch to 5K and anything related that you would like to share. Well, its almost time for today’s run. Adieu for this time.
Happy Running!

4 comments:

Lakshmi said...

ah ! this post is so inspiring..its time i started taking fitness seriously and get into shape

aequo animo said...

Sarika:
Here is the next step :D
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Runner's-High

Harshita said...

Hey..I read this today and co-incidentally this happens to be my second week at running too :)
However I have run 5K before so am aiming for a 10K by May and hopefully a half-marathon by October.
I am trying to follow the 10K -10 week regimen form this site.
http://www.marathonrookie.com/10k-training.html

Akira said...

Yippe!! Today I successfully finished the couch to 5K program :) and I am really excited about it...

Thanks to coolrunning.com for developing this program and also to Robert whose podcasts kept me going.

Many thanks to my family and friends whose constant encouragement and support helped me achieve my goal.

I am planning to continue running 5K 3 days a week and hoping to be a better runner with each run.